Who do I contact if I have concerns about my child’s development, learning or behaviour?

Parents are often the first to notice that their child’s development, learning or behaviour is different from that of most of their age peers. A problem for parents is knowing which professional(s) to go to with their concerns, to have their questions answered and to find out what can be done to help their child.

When you click on the links below, you will find summaries of the roles played by each of these professionals in supporting children with developmental, learning, behavioural and emotional needs.






Occupational Therapist




Speech Pathologist






The options above includes many of the professionals who may become involved in supporting you and your child if your child has special needs. Professionals in one field will often refer you to other professionals. Indeed, a child with one condition often has other difficulties that need to be identified and addressed.

Where do you start? If your child is at kindergarten or school, a first place to start would be to make an appointment with your child’s teacher or paediatrician. They, in turn, may refer you to other professionals or agencies.

Audiologist   Paediatrician
Speech Pathologist   Optometrist
Class Teacher   Tutor
Psychologist   Occupational Therapist

SPELD SA is generously supported by

thyne reid foundation Education Logo CMYK H Large australian executor trustees

SPELD SA would like to acknowledge the support of the Douglas Whiting Trust in the development of this website.

More benefactors and supporters

We are a proud member of AUSPELD


AUSPELD is a member of the IDA Global Partners Program