SPELD (SA) Tutor Register
Setting: Online tutoring
For people who live in the outback, interstate or an area where there are no local tutors, SPELD (SA) offers online tutoring
Online tutoring takes place in real-time between a tutor and an individual student.
All you need is a computer and an internet connection and microphone. Our trained tutors will help parents with the initial setup of the online room. Students enjoy the technological aspects of online tutoring and it can be provided for students from 7 years of age.
SPELD tutors are South Australian registered teachers who have a minimum of 2 years’ classroom experience and specialist training to work with students with dyslexia. Online tutors undertake further training to teach on the internet. A SPELD tutor will create an individual learning program for your child.
Most tutors set homework designed to consolidate the work done during the tutorial session. This usually involves 10 to 15 minutes practice, for example, in reading, phonics or spelling 5 times a week. Tutoring does mean an extra workload on top of the student’s normal school homework and negotiation may be needed with your child’s school to ensure that they are not overloaded.
To be successful, ongoing support by all involved with your child’s education is vitally important. It is important for parents to be fully involved and supportive. The student needs all our patience, understanding and support to gain the maximum advantage from individual tutoring. There is no magic wand.
Reporting and Feedback
Parents are encouraged to discuss their child’s progress on a regular basis, either after the lesson, if time and circumstances permit, or by ’phone. Tutors provide a written report twice yearly.
Features of online tutoring
- It saves travel time.
- Your child works in the comfort and security of your home.
- Online tutoring provides greater flexibility in the range of tutors and times available.
- In some cases online tutoring can be conducted during school time.
- Our virtual classroom application lets your child and teacher speak naturally to each other and work through lessons together using a shared whiteboard.
- You can keep the same tutor if you relocate within the state, interstate or even overseas.
- Technical support provided by trained tutors
- 1 time allocation fee of $ 85 ($25 for members)
- $50 (from Jan 1, 2010) per 1 hour lesson: Lessons must be pre-paid (in blocks of 10)
- Clients pay their own internet costs
Application for a Tutor (please download the following forms)
Tutor Allocation Form for Children
Tutor Allocation Form for Adults